Monday, February 20, 2012

A little shy....

Welcome, welcome, welcome! This has been a long time in the making, including many "almost started a blog but chickened out" moments.  For some reason, it seems like the right time.

But first, we should get to know one another.  I'm a newlywed, living it up (on a budget, or course) in the Lone Star State.  I'm a native East Coast girl, so Texas has taken some getting used to.  Now I don't give a second glance to the longhorn across the street from my neighborhood grocery store, in his tiny little field.  Or the occasional horse & cowboy trotting along side a major highway.  I am even starting to think cowgirl boots are something I MUST have (once I can pay cash, of course). 

I work for a pediatric hospital, where I get the opportunity to meet cute little nuggets and work with some amazing people.  My husband (T) and I own a sweet little bungalow that I am super attached to, despite it's shortcomings.  We have a small herd of snuggly, snorting little pugs.  I love to read, run, cook, and travel.  I'm a strict vegetarian who prefers to eat vegan.  And my sweet husband?  Getting by on vegetarian fare but (not so) secretly sneaking off to McDonalds, Chik Fil-A, or Taco Bueno when he just can't make due with one more salad.  Life is good for us for many reasons, and we see this.  But, hey, isn't there always room for improvement?

And now, the good stuff.  While we both have good jobs, we can't seem to get the money thang under control.  I wouldn't say we're broke, just.....a little shy.  A little shy of paying off our credit cards, a little shy of a fully funded emergency account, a little shy of contributing the recommended 15% to our retirement account.  And believe me, we have been close.  Like painfully, frustratingly close to paying off our credit cards, but something always seems to get in the way.  And I'm starting to think that something is ME.  Do I live within my means?  Ummm....not always, but I really want to learn how to.  Do I charge things I don't have cash for?  Sure.  But enough is enough.  Do I spend hours creating budgets and spreadsheets and plans and lists about how we should divy up our income?  Yessssss.  Do we live by those budgets?  I mean, initially, yes.  But eventually?  No.

Currently, we have between $7,000-$8,000 in credit card debt, and approximately $6,000 in auto loans.   Blech.  Did I mention we need a new car?  We are crossing our fingers T's car will last until we can settle this annoying debt and learn to stick to a budget.  BUT....we have a decent EF and contribute 14% of our salaries to retirement accounts.  So, not all ugly.  

I'm hoping this blog will hold me accountable and give me the chance to learn from other bloggers who have beat the debt-blues.  But, I swear, it won't be all doom and money gloom.  Promise!

A

No comments:

Post a Comment