Sunday, March 4, 2012

Sunny Sunday (the numbers are in)



This morning I woke up (at 9:00, thanks to a sweet husband who lets me sleep in while he gets up to tend to our pack o’ pugs) to so much sun and warmth.  Finally spring!  And while I have plenty of coffee here, I was majorly craving a hazelnut latte from Starbucks, so off to the drive-through we went.  For the record, I think it is totally acceptable to make a drive-through run in your pajamas pants and a sweatshirt.  However, T does not think this practice is acceptable, but we agree to disagree ;-)  
Hazelnut latte, cozy sunporch, and the real deal, in terms of credit card debt.  Previous numbers were estimates, as I was waiting on the statements.  Of course, I underestimated.  Here it is:
Discover: $4,560.00
Mastercard: $4,852.34
Making our grand total $9,412.34.  The budget for March allows for $2,270.00 in debt repayment and a $700 contribution to our EF/new car fund.    I know, I know....I probably should be adding those 700 pieces to our debt repayment, but something about seeing our savings grow makes me feel very comfortable.  I just don’t think I would be able to sleep without a decent EF.  And since we are able to pay down 20% of our debt a month AND stock the savings, it feels like an okay move to me.  
Also, we are headed to Acadia/BH in August for 11 days , and will be making a $425 payment on our home for the week.  We typically make this trip every year.  We plan ahead, search for cheap flights and rental cars (our roundtrip airfare from DFW to Logan has already been purchased, paid in cash, and cost us $263 each!!!  Score!!), and rent a house on the island so we can cook at home 2 meals per day and save $$ and calories.  T’s family is from Boston, and my parents & sister are in NY.  We rent a house on Mt. Desert Island for a week and everyone sort of comes and goes and we get the opportunity to see our favorite people in our favorite place.  A week of hiking, kayaking, and the best seafood ever.  After our week in BH, we spend a few nights in Boston with T’s brother and his family, which gives T the chance to see his beloved Red Sox play at Fenway.  But I digress....moral of this rant is that next month, we will be rolling that $425 over into our debt repayment, making the debt chunk o’ cash $2695.00!!!

And, despite what financial guru's might preach, I really believe in a balance.  We love to travel and we want to enjoy our lives.  So, we plan ahead and allow ourselves the luxury.  And seriously, is this not the most beautiful place on earth?!?


I don't know about you, but we love having something to look forward to!
A

No comments:

Post a Comment